Before hitting the hay

Use this forum for posting and viewing igloo photo's
Post Reply
User avatar
Igloo Ed
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:44 pm
Location: Lyons, Colorado
Contact:

Before hitting the hay

Post by Igloo Ed » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:04 pm

A picture from a trip with the Colorado Mountain Club in Jan. 08
Evening.jpg

Vander Elst
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: seattle,Wa.

Re: Before hitting the hay

Post by Vander Elst » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Igloo Ed wrote:A picture from a trip with the Colorado Mountain Club in Jan. 08
Evening.jpg

If i may ask: Did you make this one by yourself? Im going have to try a solo one this snow.
Vander Elst

User avatar
Igloo Ed
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:44 pm
Location: Lyons, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Before hitting the hay

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Vander Elst wrote:If i may ask: Did you make this one by yourself? Im going have to try a solo one this snow.
It was not a solo, it was a nine foot igloo for three of us to sleep in. I've finished one nine foot by myself when friends had to leave to meet their dates.
I've built 6 or so solo eight footers and probably about 8 solo seven footers.
The fastest I've done a seven footer solo is 2 hours. It was nearly perfect snow.

Vander Elst
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: seattle,Wa.

Re: Before hitting the hay

Post by Vander Elst » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Igloo Ed wrote:
Vander Elst wrote:If i may ask: Did you make this one by yourself? Im going have to try a solo one this snow.
It was not a solo, it was a nine foot igloo for three of us to sleep in. I've finished one nine foot by myself when friends had to leave to meet their dates.
I've built 6 or so solo eight footers and probably about 8 solo seven footers.
The fastest I've done a seven footer solo is 2 hours. It was nearly perfect snow.
Two hours, Oh my gosh, takes me a good 3to4 hours to make 10' that is with 2 or 3 of us, we been useing a 2.5 gal. bucket instead of a shovel when we are getting on the 3ld level. this way we just throw the bucket to the packer, very lite snow.
Vander Elst

User avatar
Igloo Ed
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:44 pm
Location: Lyons, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Before hitting the hay

Post by Igloo Ed » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:37 am

Vander Elst wrote:Two hours, Oh my gosh, takes me a good 3to4 hours to make 10' that is with 2 or 3 of us, we been useing a 2.5 gal. bucket instead of a shovel when we are getting on the 3ld level. this way we just throw the bucket to the packer, very lite snow.
We found that the fastest we could build them was 1 hour and 40 minutes. That's with two people on the eight footer or three people on the nine footer. The time went up for us on the ten and eleven footers as only three people can work on an igloo and still work efficiently. The ten footer took us 2 1/2 hours for the fastest and the eleven footer... well, I've only built a few of them and it was never with an experienced team. I think the fastest we ever built an eleven footer was 5 hours.
The two hours it took me to build the seven footer could possibly be cut down to the 1 hour and 40 minutes if I was feeling strong and the snow conditions were perfect.
The fastest I've ever built an eight footer solo was 3 1/2 hours but that was with stopping to melt snow for water and also eating a snack.
I've never used a bucket but the shovel I use is a Life Link "Pit Boss". The Pit Boss has a long handle and a good sized bucket resulting in the shovel working pretty good. The small avalanche shovels are pretty much worthless because of the small bucket size.
I find it is easier for me to build a seven footer solo than it is to build the larger sizes with an inexperienced team.

Vander Elst
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm
Location: seattle,Wa.

Re: Before hitting the hay

Post by Vander Elst » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:43 pm

Ok , now i want to go out and build smaller ones, 8 ft in 2 hours, so I you can build two for 4 people instead a large one, My back packing shovels is what it is (small back packing shovel, but very lite for those long hikes) the bucket makes it alot easyer when the snow is lite, and your making a large igloo , and the walls isnt like they should be, and you end up making a pile of packed snow in the middle of the igloo about 3 ft so you can close the top in, with the bucket you just throw it to the packer standing about 10 feet away and 5 feet above you, because its getting late and the temp is going down, and youre to far to hike back out. its fun to make things work out.
a good leason learning for me. :D
Vander Elst

User avatar
Igloo Ed
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:44 pm
Location: Lyons, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Before hitting the hay

Post by Igloo Ed » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:13 pm

Vander Elst wrote:Ok , now i want to go out and build smaller ones, 8 ft in 2 hours, so I you can build two for 4 people instead a large one, My back packing shovels is what it is (small back packing shovel, but very lite for those long hikes) the bucket makes it alot easyer when the snow is lite, and your making a large igloo , and the walls isnt like they should be, and you end up making a pile of packed snow in the middle of the igloo about 3 ft so you can close the top in, with the bucket you just throw it to the packer standing about 10 feet away and 5 feet above you, because its getting late and the temp is going down, and youre to far to hike back out. its fun to make things work out.
a good leason learning for me. :D
With four people, I'd preffer a ten footer as it works pretty well to have one extra fella as a rover that can help out. He can make hot drinks for the others, get them food so they don't need to stop and dig things out themselves. If everyone is experienced, he can also rotate through the different jobs of building the igloo. Two igloos would separate the group and you wouldn't have the comradeship that one igloo gives.
I presume that you are making the pile of snow in the inside to stand on and I've taken to using a pulk/sled and bringing a milk crate. The milk crate works nice to stand on and it also makes a good chair around camp.
The correct shovel is important and the Pit Boss is the best available on the market. I've actually modified one so I have a larger bucket. I modified it by putting a Life Link "Himalaya" blade on the Pit Boss handle. I did this by coating the handle with wax and then pouring epoxy into the gap between the blade and the smaller handle. After the epoxy set up, I put heat through the handle with a small torch to melt the wax and remove the handle.
The bucket is nearly to big but overall, it is wonderful with the shovel being very long and consequently I don't need to stoop over hardly at all to pick up a load of snow. The shovel is also long enough to place snow on the top layers very easily.
The pulk I use is the Paris Expedition one here: skipulk.com I can't say enough good about this pulk.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests