Igloo Demo Jan. 17th 2009 RMNP

Look here for ICEBOX® demo times and locations
Igloo Ed
Igloo Demo Jan. 17th 2009 RMNP

Post by Igloo Ed » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:29 am

I'll be at Jax's Snow Shoe Demo in RMNP on Sat. Jan. 17th 2009 from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm. The demo is where the old Hidden Valley Ski Area was at. It is now called the Hidden Valley Picnic Area or the Hidden Valley Snow Play Area. Ask at the gate if you don't know how to find it.
At this point, I'll be building this igloo solo unless one of you locals would like to show up and give a hand.
I'd like to know before hand if anyone is coming as it makes a difference in what size base I start building when I show up early.
There'll be three different snowshoe manufacturers represented, MSR, Tubbs and Atlas.

glenn

Re: Igloo Demo Jan. 17th RMNP

Post by glenn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Hey,
I'd love to learn more about building igloos. Check back, but I should be available to build one that weekend. Hopefully I'll have my own tool to bring up!
By the way, I live in Estes, so its not too far. I wish I would have known about your Thanksgiving igloo today. I was just bashing around back there and I probably was inside of a few minutes walk to go check it out.

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 pm

glenn wrote:Hey,
I'd love to learn more about building igloos. Check back, but I should be available to build one that weekend. Hopefully I'll have my own tool to bring up!
By the way, I live in Estes, so its not too far. I wish I would have known about your Thanksgiving igloo today. I was just bashing around back there and I probably was inside of a few minutes walk to go check it out.
Welcome to the forum Glenn.
That would be great if you come and help build the igloo. Thank you.
Hope you had fun bashing around back there while I was working today. ;)

glenn

Post by glenn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Ed,
I just wanted to confirm, I planning on coming up with a friend who also wants to help out.
I'll see you Saturday morning...
Glenn

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:57 am

glenn wrote:Ed,
I just wanted to confirm, I planning on coming up with a friend who also wants to help out.
Glenn
Woo Hoo! Glad to hear you're coming. I'll show up around 9:15 and start getting things ready. I'll have a foundation ready by 10:00 and start building the igloo at 10:00 or a little before.
See ya,

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:34 pm

glenn wrote:Ed,
Glenn
Glad you guys came, Glenn. It was cool that you got to learn the whole thing and it was a good time.
I finally figured it out, the moving form on the last layer. The way you are gripping the form with your left hand... I ran into that a few years back when I was teaching someone and forgot about it. You should have your thumb in the inside corner and fingers on the outside of the form. It gives much more control.
SeventhCourse.jpg
Sorry I didn't spot it at the demo.
Sometimes, I move my chest up to the form so my hand is touching my chest, that makes it more stable too. Both feet spread and solid before you start, don't shift your feet.
And then, someone wasn't helping you move that form:
WhatIsIt.jpg