Approximate # of blocks in each size of igloo?

This forum is for first time users or beginners
Banff Martin
AntiSpam:Igloo
Approximate # of blocks in each size of igloo?

Post by Banff Martin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Hello Ed,

I thought I once saw notes for this, but cannot find the discussion thread. If you have the details, could you please advise the approximate number of blocks in each size of igloo?

Thanks!
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Igloo Ed

Re: Approximate # of blocks in each size of igloo?

Post by Igloo Ed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:07 pm

I think I have mention the number of blocks someplace but it is probably just in some obscure thread.
It's rather hard to count the blocks it takes to build an igloo when we spend a day traveling and building the igloo. All people want to do is move in and set there gear up so they can eat and relax. Once the gear is laid about and people are sitting, it's hard to see the blocks well enough to count them. Then once we move out, everything is melted and the individual blocks are no longer visible.
We did take the time however to count a nine foot igloo a couple times. Once was with sugar snow, where the overlap is more, and we counted 79 blocks. The other time was with nice powder where the overlap was about an inch. We counted 75 blocks in that igloo.
I've never counted any other sizes of igloos.

Banff Martin
AntiSpam:Igloo

Post by Banff Martin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm

That makes sense...a build with snowball-quality snow wouldn't need as much overlap.

Thanks!
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm

I've been able to leave an inch gap a few times when building in spring slush with an experienced helper. The shoveler can throw the shovel full into the bottom/back corner and against the previous block. If thrown correctly, it hits the block and splats out like mashed potatoes and spreads the form evenly. Not much of it blows out the crack when it's slush like that.