Igloo built in the French Alps

Use this forum for posting and viewing igloo photo's
endlessride

Igloo built in the French Alps

Post by endlessride » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Some pictures from our 3rd Igloo, built near Morzine in France.

And a video here http://www.chaletgeorge.com/2008/12/19/ ... ing-video/

Igloo Ed

Re: Igloo built in the French Alps

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:50 pm

Nice, the video is great and it looks like you have taken the igloos to heart.
Looks like some nice snow you had to work with. The trees had quite a bit of snow on them, I love the woods in winter.
The best advice I can give is to get a shovel with a bigger blade and a longer handle. It makes a big difference.
Welcome to the forum.

endlessride

Post by endlessride » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:12 pm

I am certainly "in the market" for a bigger shovel. The other mistake I made with this one was not to spend enough time packing down the foundations and to pack around the outside of the first layer. The igloo was built on 1.4m of unconsolidated powder and the packing down of the base took ages. Anyway, I pass it by fairly frequently, it is still standing but has sunk somewhat.

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:05 pm

endlessride wrote:I am certainly "in the market" for a bigger shovel. The other mistake I made with this one was not to spend enough time packing down the foundations and to pack around the outside of the first layer. The igloo was built on 1.4m of unconsolidated powder and the packing down of the base took ages. Anyway, I pass it by fairly frequently, it is still standing but has sunk somewhat.
You have probably already seen the sagging igloo thread but just in case: viewforum.php?f=18
Concerning packing the ledge and the ledge sintering enough to hold a person. Generally, my ledge is hard by the time I start building the third course. I stay off the ledge until the third course and only put one foot on the ledge for the second course.
The key to getting the ledge to sinter is to make sure not to remove any of it while picking up the snow to fill the form. I leave a thin film of fresh snow on the ledge and then clean the loose snow off the ledge by sweep it along to the next position.
That sweeping and also some light pressure with a foot to pack it again after it's been swept sinters a thin layer on the ledge that will hold you.
If the shoveler picking up the snow removes just a tiny bit of that layer, the layer will not hold you when needed.
Igloo on...