|Grand Shelters ICEBOX - Igloo, winter camping tool
- Material's have been tested to -70 deg F.
- One ICEBOX® tool will build a 7,8,9,10, or 11 ft Igloo.
- ICEBOX® configuration inside dimensions and weights:
7 ft. by 44 inches tall: 4.8 lbs (2.13 X 1.12 meters tall: 2.18kg)
8 and 10 ft by 61 inches tall: 4.88 lbs (2.44 and 3.05 X 1.55 meters tall:
9 and 11 ft by 67 inches tall: 4.92 lbs (2.74 and 3.35 X 1.7 meters tall:
- Comfortable sleeping capacities for people
5'8" (1.54m) without a trench are:
- 7 ft. (2.13m) = 1 person, or 2 people less
than 5 ft tall.
- 8 ft. (2.44m) = 3 people
- 9 ft. (2.74m) = 4 people
- 10ft. (3.05m) = 5 people
- 11ft. (3.35m) = 6 people
- Digging a hole or
trough will allow you to sit with legs hanging instead of cross-legged
- Can be built with any snow conditions (including sugar
snow, slurpee type ice, depth hoar) allowing builder to stay in the woods
out of the wind.
- Takes less than 50% of the effort required to build a
quinzhee or dig a snow cave of equivalent size.
- Build time is approx. 1-1/2 to 3 hours depending on snow
quality and quantity.
- Builder will not be fatigued when complete.
- Straps onto
pack easily using supplied straps and buckles.
- Straps have auto release snaps allowing builder to keep
gloves or mittens on.
- Builder stays cool enough to prevent sweating and snow from
melting on the outside of builder's jacket.
- Slip form has auto release snaps to prevent form from
breaking if it happens to fall full of snow. Snaps also help in assembly of
form allowing builder to keep gloves on.
- Support pole helps create the exact same ICEBOX® Igloo every
time. (no guesswork)
- The actual cross-section is a self-supporting catenary
curve, the same theory used in the flying buttresses of the cathedrals of
- Shelter is built by handling snow only once. (blocks are
- Builder is able to kneel or stand rather than lying down or
kneeling like a snow caver. (Kneeling is only required for the first row.)
- Parts are made of bright colors to prevent loss of smaller
pieces in snow.
- Extends season, only need 6 inches of snow to build and can
be built from surface snow on summer glaciers. Has
been built on lakes with only 3 inches. (See North Dakota Minnesota
- Tall enough to facilitate standing up to stretch or get
- 3 people have stood on top of
an ICEBOX® Igloo. (not recommended).
- Doesn't flap in the wind like a tent.
- Just plain fun.
- With outside temps of -15 F and two candles burning the
temps will be 48 F at the ceiling 38 F at the floor.
- With no heat source and all occupants in sleeping bags the
temps 38 F at the ceiling and 34 F at the floor..
- No need to sleep with the water bottle.
1327 Sherman Drive, Longmont, Co 80501, USA|
Toll free US and Canada